I love going to the theatre and concerts!
1. Blue, Queenie van der Zandt Powerhouse – June
Queenie as Joni Mitchell tore our hearts apart and up, then put them back together in joy and wonder at the art and beauty of her music.
2. King & I, Rodgers & Hammerstein Savoyards – June
Obviously our niece and nephew stole the show as some of the King’s children. Though the last scenes of the musical caused me lots of frustration – I struggled with the representation of both cultures.
3. Ruddigore, Gilbert & Sullivan QOpera – July
We found $25 tickets for the balcony. So much fun.
We both grew up listening to Gilbert & Sullivan with our families.
1. The Magic Flute, Mozart QPAC 2000
School trip: I slipped in with the Music and Drama students.
My first ‘big’ show.
2. Much Ado About Nothing, ShakespeareGlobe Theatre 2011
Stephen and I were in London… so good.
3. Women in Voice, QPAC/Judith Wright multiple years
Dad likes to use our birthdays to encourage us with strong women.
Mum receives biographies, I receive tickets to WiV!
If you can’t afford tickets…
– ask for them as gifts
– enter competitions (most venues mailing list or lifestyle sites e.g. The Judith Wright Centre, The Weekend Edition)
– check out free events
– look for discounts
– watch some university performances (QUT/Griffith/UQ all give free or low cost performances)